TheLogician.net © Avi Sion, 2008.
A Thematic Compilation
The Thematic Compilations are collections of essays on a specified topic drawn from Avi Sion’s past works.
The Self is an inquiry into the concepts of self, soul, person, ego, consciousness, psyche and mind – ranging over phenomenology, logic, epistemology, ontology, psychology, spirituality, meditation, ethics and metaphysics. This book is a thematic compilation drawn from past works by the author over a period of eighteen years.
The Self is now available online at: avisiontheself.bravesites.com
Chapter One – Consciousness and the Mind
Drawn from Future Logic (1990), chapter 61.
1. Consciousness is a Relation
2. Kinds of Consciousness
3. The Mind
4. Popular Psychology
1. Self or Soul.
1. To Be Or Not To Be
2. The Self
3. Factors of the “Self”
5. Fallacious Criticisms of Selfhood
6. What “Emptiness” Might Be
Drawn from Volition and Allied Causal Concepts (2004), chapter 7.
1. Cultural Context and Epistemological Considerations
2. Theoretical Context
3. Stages in the Process of Volition
4. The Scope of Freewill
1. The Ego Abhors a Vacuum
2. Ungluing the Mind
3. Abstract vs. Concrete Self
4. Sundry Reflections on the Soul and God
1. The Individual Self in Monism
2. The Impression of Self
1. Not an Essence, but an Entity
2. Distinguishing the Ego
3. Dismissing the Ego
1. The Self or Soul
2. Descartes’ Mind-Body Dichotomy
3. Buddhist Denial of the Soul
1. Self Awareness
2. Meditation on the Self
3. Behold the Mind
4. The Buddhist No-Soul Theory
5. Self and Enlightenment