TheLogician.net © Avi Sion, 2009.
A Thematic Compilation
The Thematic Compilations are collections of essays on a specified topic drawn from Avi Sion’s past works.
Theology is about God and Creation, or more precisely perhaps about our ideas of them, how they are formed and somewhat justified, although it is stressed that they can be neither proved nor disproved. This book is a thematic compilation drawn from past works by the author over a period of thirteen years. (Second edition, 2014.)
Chapter One – Logical Aspects of Faith
1. Logic and mysticism
2. On natural proofs of religion
3. Theodicy and the Believer’s Wager
4. Proof of God by analogy?
5. Disproofs of God?
Chapter Two – Nagarjuna on God and Creation
Drawn from Buddhist Illogic (2002), chapter 10.
1. Nagarjuna’s main arguments
2. Other issues raised
3. Buddhism and Theism
Chapter Three – Theology Without Prejudice
Drawn from Phenomenology (2003), chapter 9.
1. Applying logical standards to theology
2. Conceiving the Divine attributes
3. Analyzing omniscience and omnipotence
4. Harmonizing Justice and Mercy
5. The formlessness of God
Chapter Four – Causation, Volition and God
1. Causation and volition
2. Necessity and inertia in causation
3. Direct and indirect volition
4. Matter-mind and spirit
5. Conceiving Divine volition
6. Spiritual Darwinism
7. Theological perspectives
Chapter Five – Philosophy and Religion
Drawn from Ruminations (2005), chapter 2 (section 19).
1. Two distinct endeavors
2. Many people make claims
3. How to decide?
4. A word on Buddhism
5. Evaluating claims
6. Acknowledging science
Chapter Six – Meditations
1. Interpretations of meditation
2. The coexistence of the One and the many
3. The individual self in Monism
4. Already there
Chapter Seven – The Ideas of God and Creation
Drawn from Logical and Spiritual Reflections (2008), Zen Judaism, chapter 1.
1. The idea of God
2. The idea of creation
3. Two acts of faith
Chapter Eight – Sundry Reflections on the Soul and God
Drawn from Volition and Allied Causal Concepts (2004), chapter 16 (section 3)
1. About the soul
2. About God